Search This Blog

Wednesday 26 July 2017

Too late


This poem was written for a friend who died unexpectedly of a heart attack in her early 20's without anyone suspecting that she had problems with her heart.
Hierdie gedig is geskryf vir 'n vriendin wat onverwags dood is aan 'n hartaanval in haar vroeƫ 20's, sonder dat enige iemand besef het dat sy hartprobleme het.

Too late
(A letter to Mariet)
What can be said to a friend who is dead?
How can time lost be rerun?
How do you silence the voice in your head
or make up for the things left undone?

The years since we spoke became many and long.
I kept putting off calling 'till later,
but later has come and now you are gone
and it's a feeling of regret that I cater.

Only after your death did I learn how I failed you,
did I learn how you needed my time.
I never knew all the troubles you went through,
but I wish I could have made some of them mine.

When you got married I was too busy to attend.
When you were buried I didn't even know.
My congratulations through the mail I could send,
but my condolences, to whom will I show?

"Too late! Too late!" the voice keeps repeating
and the tears in my heart I can't cry,
but inside me my heart is weeping.
I'll now have to wait 'till I die.

An original poem by Miekie (Marietjie Uys).'n Oorspronklike gedig deur Miekie (Marietjie Uys).

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Abuse

How cold the steel of the blade, how warm my body’s embrace How hard the knuckle of the fist, how soft the surface of my skin Ho...